Easter is coming up in the near future, and I must say I think it is my favorite holiday. I think it has something to do with my love of all things bunny & chicken related. Of course, I know that there is a … ahem … deeper meaning to the holiday. But for me it is about the bunnies & the eggs.
And the chocolate and candy and pretty pretties.
To start the season off right I thought I would bring over a post from a now defunct blog of mine. The blog had to go bye bye when I got busted by the county for having chickens, brief moment of silence for the empty coop, but I thought some of the knitters that have found this blog might be multi-craftual and enjoy this little tidbit.
So here is my Easter project from last year:
- I never thought I would love paisley.
This really isn’t anything new. If you search for “Silk Tie Dyed Easter Eggs” you will find plenty of instructions on how to do this. As with all things like this – it originated with The Martha. You need pure silk – most easily obtainable from your local thrift store in the form of ties. Look inside the tie for a label that says 100% silk. Apparently silk blouses, scarves and boxer shorts work also – I did not test them. I used ties. Really ugly ties. Avoid ties that have really thick fabric or any kind of texture – even if they are silk.
Cut the silk into pieces big enough to completely wrap around the egg with enough left over to tie off. Also you will need pieces of white cloth (cotton preferably) the same size as the silk pieces. In keeping with the reusing men’s stuff theme I cut up one of my hubby’s old t-shirts that I was sick of seeing. Place the egg on the silk with the “right side” of the silk against the egg. Gather the fabric around the egg and get as much fabric/shell contact as you can manage. Twist the fabric at the top to make a little package and then do the same with the cotton fabric. Tie off somehow. I used bits of leftover cotton knitting yarn – The Martha used twistie ties.
- Fill a pot with enough water to cover your egg packages and add 1/4 C of white vinegar. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. Remove and “allow to dry”. At least that is what the original instructions said. I let mine sit overnight and the next morning they were still wet. I went about my day and came back around lunch – still damp. At this point I lost my patience and unwrapped them. None the worse for wear. So I would let them sit at least a couple of hours – but they don’t have to be dry.
I had a fifth tie – but it didn’t work for crap. That is where I learned the no textures tip that I thoughtfully provided above. I took the two eggs came out poorly and re-wrapped them in prints that did well then repeated the process. Again they came out nicely. I just lurve the way they look and cannot wait to try this again this year. I am considering blowing some eggs and seeing if it will work on blown eggs – I have my doubts.